Our school jumper is emerald green with the red school logo and has been chosen for its practicality and comfort as well as to give the children a sense of ‘Ashlands’ pride and identity within the local community.
A copy of our school uniform policy can be found on the policies page here
We believe that parents have a duty to send their children to school correctly dressed and ready for their daily schoolwork and we therefore ask that they support our school uniform policy. One of the responsibilities of parents is to ensure that their child has the correct uniform and that it is clean, is in good repair and is named.
- No jewellery/ wristbands to be worn except for the ‘Walk to School’ badges, small stud earrings and watches. We ask the children to either remove these objects during PE or cover them with a plaster to prevent the risk of injury.
- Headbands Headbands/ bobbles should be plain
- For the safety of the children and to prevent the risk of injury shoes with a heel, platform soles and flip flops are not allowed due to the danger of tripping whilst running in the playground. For the same reason we would prefer children not to wear open-toed sandals but if this is not possible we ask that they wear socks.
The Equality Act 2010 prohibits discrimination against an individual based on the protected characteristics, which include age, sex, disability, race, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, and gender reassignment.
To avoid discrimination, our school will:
- Avoid listing uniform items based on sex, to give all pupils the opportunity to wear the uniform they feel most comfortable in or that most reflects their self-identified gender Make sure that our uniform costs the same for all pupils
- Allow all pupils to have long hair (though we reserve the right to ask for this to be tied back)
- Allow all pupils to style their hair in a way that is appropriate for school and makes them feel most comfortable
- Allow pupils to request changes to swimwear for religious reasons or if they are experiencing discomfort related to their sex, gender or gender reassignment
- Allow pupils to wear headscarves and/or other religious garments
- Allow pupils with sensory or physical needs to make reasonable adaptations to their uniform depending on their specific needs
- Allow for reasonable adaptations to our policy on the grounds of equality by asking pupils or their parents to get in touch with the headteacher via the school office, who can answer questions about the policy and respond to any requests. These will be considered on a case-by-case basis
Limiting the cost of School Uniform
Our school has a duty to make sure that the uniform we require is affordable, in line with statutory guidance from the Department for Education on the cost of school uniform.
We do this by:
- Limiting the number of items with distinctive characteristics, such as branded items, or items that have to have a school logo or a unique fabric/ colour/ design.
- The only items of uniform that require the school logo on are jumpers and cardigans. Other items of uniform are available with the logo, such as polo shirts but it is not compulsory for these items to be logo’ed and parents are welcome to purchase them from high street retailers without the logo.
- Parents are able to purchase items such as plain grey trousers, skirts, shorts from any high street retailer.
- Ashlands has a logo’ed PE kit this is not compulsory and children are welcome to wear a plain white T-shirt, plain, dark coloured tracksuit/jogging bottoms, leggings or shorts appropriate for sporting activities.
- There is the option to wear a dress (green and white check) or shorts in summer, but this is not compulsory and can be purchased from any high retailer. No specific dress style is required.
- School has a stock of good quality secondhand school uniform and there are regular preowned uniform sales throughout the school year. You are always welcome to pop into the school office or email if you require items in between uniform sales.
Uniform at Ashlands
- White polo shirt
- Green sweatshirt or cardigan & school logo
- Grey trousers / skirt / pinafore / shorts
- Grey / white socks / Grey tights
- Formal black school shoes
- Green check summer dress (optional)
- Reception – Green envelope style book bag
- From Year 1 children are allowed to bring a bag / rucksack to school. They can, of course, continue to use their green book bag if they prefer.
- White T-shirt (plain, round neck)
- Plain, dark coloured tracksuit/jogging bottoms, leggings or shorts appropriate for sport
- Plain, dark coloured jumper or hooded jumper appropriate for sport
Year 6 children are able to wear their Ashlands Leavers hoodie for PE.
Children come to school in PE kit on their PE and PPA days. You will be notified at the beginning of the school year what these days are for your child’s class.
The only items of uniform that require the school logo on are jumpers and cardigans.
Other items of uniform are available with the logo but they may also be purchased from high street retailers without the logo e.g. plain white polo shirts and PE T Shirts
The uniform suppliers listed may sell other logoed uniform items such as rucksacks, coats and PE T shirts. These are not compulsory uniform items although you are of course free to buy them if you wish.
Plain red polo shirt Plain red sweatshirt / cardigan / jumper Plain black leggings / tracksuit bottoms
Children in nursery do PE but do not need a PE kit
Please ask in Nursery as we always have a good stock of second hand items.
School Uniform Suppliers
We have 4 suppliers for uniform at Ashlands. All supply the same uniform, although prices may vary. You are of course free to buy non logo’ed uniform e.g plain white polo shirts and grey skirts/ trousers etc from any high street retailer.
Wharfedale Uniforms: www.wharfedaleuniforms.com
Your School Uniform: www.yourschooluniform.com
Wharfedale Embroidery: www.wharfembroidery.co.uk
My Clothing: https://myclothing.com/ashlands-primary-school/6968.school
Pendle Sports (for Ashlands outdoor PE kit) https://ashlands-primary-school.footballkit.co.uk/
Second Hand Uniform Shop
Ashlands Second Hand Uniform Shop is now well established and run by a group of volunteers. There are some really excellent quality uniform clothes for sale at fantastically knock down prices. Items have been donated and we have made sure that everything that goes on sale is in good condition with all the profits going directly to Friends.
Uniform sales are held in the playground once a term but you are always welcome to pop into the school office to have a look and see if there is anything suitable.